Thursday, February 21, 2013

8. An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington


An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington by Karl Pilkington

An Idiot Abroad is an excellent show that I can't recommend highly enough to everyone. Rarely does a show consistently make me laugh so hard that I have to pause multiple times, every single episode. I also adore travelogues and love to experience new places and cultures myself. I received this book as a gift and had no idea what to expect going into it. Unfortunately it doesn't hit the same beats as the show in text. There were a few laugh out loud moments but few and far between and the whole thing seems a bit hastily thrown together, which I'm sure it was. Pages upon pages of filler phone conversations transcribed and some bits used and re-used in the text turned me off a bit. It does offer a little insight to some behind the scenes happenings during filming as well as some adventures that didn't make it to air but again it feels a little weak when all is said and done. It is an OK quick read for fans of the show, but I wouldn't go out of my way to read it. 3/5 (Good)




No comments: