Wednesday, December 3, 2008

#42 - The Golem's Eye

The Golem's Eye is the second book in the Bartimaeus Trilogy. If the first had you cringing from the blatant similarity to Mr. Potter, this one manages to borrow even more! Harry, I mean Nathaniel is working for the Ministry of... I mean Office of Internal Affairs which is defending against Muggl... I mean commoners in the Resistance movement threatening to overthrow the magicians. Hermion... I mean Kitty enters the picture as a female counterpart and edges out Bartimaeus the djini for attention to some disappointment relegating the much loved djini to a minor role in this one. Normally this much cribbing would put me off totally, but damn it! these books are just too good! As much as I initially want to dislike them they present a great world, frenetic action, and a ton of fun. Rather than the plodding tomes and tales of Harry Potter these are smart, sarcastic, action-packed romps with great characters and storytelling. I've just given in to it all and enjoy the journey for what it is, not something I normally or easily do. Recommended.

No comments: