Friday, December 19, 2008

#46 - Where the Sidewalk Ends

I'll probably upset someone with this one... to be honest this just isn't for me. I had never read "Where the Sidewalk Ends" or had it read to me in my younger years but I figured I'd give it a shot since it is so widely revered. I have a great sense of humor and enjoy silliness, whimsy, and fantasy but this just was not my cup of tea. People see a lot in this book and find great depth and humor and imagination, I found it mostly to be just kiddish absurdity and some silliness that at times works and others where it falls flat. I actually re-read it in a different mindset than the first time and I still couldn't get into it. I did enjoy a few of the pieces, though, and I will admit it is more than likely my sensibilities and humor just not syncing up to the material than anything "wrong" with the work itself. I love smart absurdity such as Monty Python, but not childish absurdity like silly songs or Spongebob. I did enjoy some of the illustration work but even that did not grab me as I had expected from all of the high praise I have heard over the years. Recommended but not a classic in my eyes.

No comments: