Tuesday, October 21, 2008

#31 - Essential SNMP, Second Edition

O'Reilly makes some pretty solid technical books and for a number of years they have been my choice for learning a new skill or simply brushing up on an old one. Lately I've been working on a SNMP project so I broke this one out. Sadly this may be one of the least useful O'Reilly books I own. While Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) uses the word "Simple" in the acronym, it can be extremely archaic and confusing and unfortunately Essential SNMP doesn't make much of an effort to simplify it any further. This book does give a nice overview and history as well as a detailed MIB listing but ultimately fails at relating any of it to an actual implementation with much success. It is worthy of being in your tech library but I'd still find another more practical SNMP book to round out the edges. Recommended.

No comments: